FEATURED SELLER - ANDY VE EIRN

Tell us a bit about yourself.
My name is Yael Scharaby and I live in Tel Aviv, Israel. I recently married my high school sweetheart in a beautiful outdoor ceremony. Our newlywed existence would be pretty calm if we didn’t have a charming and hyperactive dog. I graduated from Shenkar College of Design a year ago and immediately began to work on my own textile brand. Most of my clothes are hand-knitted on a manual machine, as I enjoy overseeing the entire process — from the manufacturing of the fabric to the final piece.
Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I am currently working on new pieces and promoting my brand in local stores and on Etsy. In addition to the creative aspects of my work, I still have a lot of work on my Etsy shop as well as general business promotion. When I do have a free hour or two I love spending some time in the kitchen, cooking and baking.
What would be the title of your memoir? 
Hard Work Pays Off. I truly believe in that phrase as a way of life, and implement it every day. I work very hard in all aspects of my life, and I feel confident results will come.
Where does your inspiration come from?
Basic and simple geometric shapes are my greatest source of inspiration. I love minimalism and clean lines that create beautiful shapes. On principle, I always design clothes I would be happy to wear.
What does handmade mean to you?
Handmade to me is taking my dream, my vision of how a piece is meant to look, and turning raw material into a beautiful product with passion and hard work. The final piece makes me happy and proud, and is designed to make the wearer happy and beautiful.
Who has been most influential in your craft?
My grandfather was an extraordinary person and a gifted ceramics painter. He kept many of his paintings in a small cabinet, and every time I visited he showed me one and I would do my best to copy it. He passed away during my first year at college and my brand is named after him.
When did you know you were an artist/maker?
When I was younger, I wanted to become a lawyer, but a casual stroll in the mall changed my plans. I noticed a woman sitting in a shop, embroidering peacefully. It was so inspiring that I instantly knew that this is what I wanted to do with my life.
How would you describe your creative process?
I look around me all the time to discover the world’s beautiful patterns. Even the simplest things, like sidewalks, or the shades on buildings, inspire me. I then process these views into patterns which I later try to knit. The knitting process is very time consuming, and it usually takes a couple attempts until I am satisfied.
If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
I would love to visit the workshop of Ottavio and Rosita Missoni. It would be a dream come true to watch the work of two of the greatest knitwear designers of all times. Their patterns and colors are marvelous and I feel every minute would be instructive, inspiring and meaningful.
What handmade possession do you most cherish?
A few years ago my mother gave me her wedding dress, which she sewed using an embroidered-lace tablecloth and a white sheet. To me, it is the most beautiful and valuable dress in the world!
How do you get out of your creative ruts?
I try to distract myself with other activities, although it is not always easy. I always enjoy baking and going for long walks on the beach with my dog. If this does not help, I drive to my parents’ house and spend a few hours with my mom, who always knows how to cheer me up. These breaks are usually very invigorating and provide all the creative fuel I need.
Where would you like to be in ten years?
I hope to be a successful and well-known designer, still as excited about each garment I create. I would also like to expand my business and create a full textile lifestyle collection — menswear, bedding and stationery. In my private life, I look forward to having children, and I am sure they will be an endless source of satisfaction and creation.

more info : here





Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz