FEATURED SELLER - PEACE4YOU

Tell us a bit about yourself
   My name is Karl Paul, and I live in Bremerhaven, Germany — the town that Elvis visited in the early 1950s. I founded peace4you with the second of my three sons, Mic. We design the bags ourselves and think of peace4you as a family business. My wife Ingrid manages money, customer support and distribution.
Apart from creating things, what do you do?
   I studied graphic design, but I’ve been working my whole life as a teacher of the arts.
What first made you want to become an artist?
   I don’t know exactly, but I think it was my situation at school. I wasn’t good at mathematics or languages or any other subjects, but I loved fine arts from my early days. It seemed like the only option for me! 


Please describe your creative process. 
   First we began to manufacture bags made of used tarpaulins. After a few years, I started to look for other useful materials that were still vibrant and very high quality. Wherever our “modular design hunter” stumbles upon a suitable piece of used material, it will be sampled and put together as a new wonderful bag.
 Those materials are often navy kitbags, French army tents, used leather jackets or even woolen jackets. The best place to find these materials is in army equipment stores in Europe and the U.S. I decided that there is no need to reinvent the wheel over and over again, so I went with popular basic patterns, like messenger bags, and went to work. Our shop makes about 40 to 50 pieces a month. 

     
What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
   My favorite possession is a kite! It was made by my best friend Peter Malinski, who died 18 years ago from cancer. 



What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy? 
    I don’t have a favorite feature in particular on Etsy, I just love the whole site as a way to sell my products. It’s so easy to handle and not too expensive.
       

How do you promote your work? 
  Good photography is key. I also use Google AdWords, as well as promote our products in boutiques in Berlin and Hamburg, Germany. 
In ten years, where would you like to be? 
  I wish to change the town I live in — I’d love to go to Berlin. I would be happy simply selling my products to those who appreciate and promote sustainability, good workmanship and individuality. 

more info: peace4you




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz